Digest mode

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 9 00:01:03 UTC 2015

On 04/08/2015 12:53 PM, Paul Welsh wrote:
> Not urgent but I am not sure the digest mode for this list is working
> correctly. In the space of 50 minutes between 10.22 am and 11.10 am BST
> I received MailScanner Digest, Vol 112, Issue 20 - 24.

I don't have time right now to research this further, but here's what I
think is happening.

The list is configured to send digests daily at noon (server time =
UTC). In addition it is configured to send a digest whenever the
accummulated size of the mbox which will go in the next digest is >= 100KB.

There have been some recent threads with posts consisting of a
top-posted reply followed by a long quote of the entire branch of that
thread. These kinds of posts tend to grow to the point where a few or
even one of them will trigger a digest on size.

The real solution is to teach people better posting habits, but trust
me, I've fought and lost that battle and it can't be won short of
moderating all posts and rejecting those that quote excessively.

The remaining options are to set the size trigger larger or unlimited or
just live with it.

If people wish to offer opinions on which of the options in the previous
paragraph to take, please do. Please do not start a thread on
top/bottom/inline posting style or excessive quoting; it's a waste of
bandwidth and with very limited exception, doesn't change anyone's mind
or affect behavior.