ESET File Security

Paul Welsh paul at welshfamily.com
Tue Sep 23 00:01:47 IST 2014

Just to share my findings of ESET File Security with MailScanner 4.84.5 in
case anyone's interested in using it.

I got hold of a 30 day trial from
http://www.eset.co.uk/Trial/Business?Product=LFS and have only installed it
tonight so early days but was a breeze to install and appears to work fine.

It appears to be licensed per server for £83 per year with a good discount
for 2 and 3 year licences - see https://shop.eset.co.uk/Store/File-Security

Installed it by downloading the software and manual from
http://www.eset.co.uk/Download/Software/Product/LFS

Installation on my CentOS 6.5 x64 box was simply a case of:
sh ./esets.x86_64.rpm.bin
then registering it with the licence file they sent:
/opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_lic --import /home/admin/NOD32.lic
and editing the file /etc/opt/eset/esets/esets.cfg to add my username and
password:
av_update_username =
av_update_password =

At this point I could scan a directory:
/opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_scan /root

I manually updated it, though not needed as it happened:
/opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_update

The /etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf file needed a small tweak:
esets           /usr/lib/MailScanner/esets-wrapper      /opt/eset/esets/sbin

I then tested without a problem:
/usr/lib/MailScanner/esets-wrapper /opt/eset/esets/sbin /root

I scanned another directory and got the following results.  Very quick:
Scan started at:   Mon 22 Sep 2014 10:32:17 PM BST
Scan completed at: Mon 22 Sep 2014 10:32:17 PM BST
Scan time:         0 sec (0:00:00)
Total:             files - 39, objects 39
Infected:          files - 0, objects 0
Cleaned:           files - 0, objects 0

Bitdefender took 25 seconds.  OK, no daemon with bitdefender but a
startling difference.  Clamscan with clamd running took 7.5 seconds, f-prot
took 1.25 seconds.

I sent the eicar test file within the body of a message and eset captured
it.  The message wasn't delivered and instead the recipient got the text
file with:
esets: Found virus Eicar test file in msg-2635-1.txt

I tried MailScanner.conf with the following and it worked each time:
Virus Scanners = esets
Virus Scanners = esets f-prot-6
Virus Scanners = esets f-prot-6 clamd

MailScanner's esets updater seems to work:
Sep 22 23:09:32 mail update.virus.scanners: Found esets installed
Sep 22 23:09:32 mail update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for esets
Sep 22 23:09:55 mail esets-autoupdate[4734]: esets updated

As per previous messages, I've found that the clamd daemon starts falling
over after a few weeks with only a reboot resetting it.  Memory leak?

AVG, I found, looks like it works but delivers infected messages.

I've 30 days to see if eset is more reliable.

Oh, one other thing.  ESET has 2 daemons:
# ps -C esets_daemon
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
  669 ?        00:00:00 esets_daemon
  671 ?        00:01:04 esets_daemon