Bounce from "destination server" as SPAM - header/received too short!

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 09:58:26 GMT 2014

I just re-read your initial post and get what's happening:

You have the watermark feature enabled, to handle all those faked
bounces/NDRs/NDNs (in reality, where the envelope sender is <>), but
when your own mailstore (the server/servers protected by your
MX/MailScanner system) generate a bounce these also lack the watermark
(which is just a specific header with a checksum cryptagraphically
protected...) and thus get handled as "bad". Many systems
implementation of OoO will fall into this category as well. Regular
bounces SHOULD NOT lack the watermark, but this is up to the
mailstore, whether the watermark is present in the NDN or not.

First off:
- Don't mark them as "High scoring spam". Just mark as Spam and they
will actually get delivered, thus making your system RFC compliant (or
at least a tad more so:-).

Second thing to explore:
- Try to make your mailstore system(s) generate or preserve a valid
watermark header for bounces etc. This is a lot less trivial than the
first step, and in many cases close to impossible... In many cases,
just implementing the first step above is the only real option... at
least from a time management perspective:-):-).

So... this problem of yours is mostly a problem outside of
mailScanner, but entirely caused be the use of the watermark feature.
i wouldn't recommend turning it off, without first doing a thorough
analysis of the effectiveness of the feature...;)

Cheers!
--
-- Glenn

-- Glenn