Antivirus performance, AVG

Steve Basford steveb_clamav at sanesecurity.com
Mon May 19 08:46:19 IST 2014

On Sun, May 18, 2014 11:00 pm, Paul Welsh wrote:

> I ran into some problems recently with the performance of clamscan on my
> virtual CentOS 6.5 box. Essentially it is slow and resource intensive.  It
>  was causing major performance issues on my server.
What's the speed when using clamdscan, instead of clamscan...

Here's a nice quote that explains...

"Clamd is a persistent process and does not need to load all the
signatures each time it is called. You simply tell it where to find the
file to scan and assuming it has permissions to do so, it scans the
file(s). You connect to it via Unix or TCP sockets.

Clamscan has to load the signatures each time it is run so on a busy
system this can be a burden. If you wish to do this in real time then
the clamd method is faster and less load on your system. "

Cheers,

Steve
Sanesecurity.com