Spamassassin rules not firing correctly

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Fri May 9 10:31:04 IST 2014

Martin Hepworth wrote on Sat, 3 May 2014 12:13:21 +0100:

> You can hand feed corrections via trusyed users, but Ive found that
> autolearn just stuffs up the bayes db

Autolearning is effective in many cases. But you may want to adjust the
thresholds. e.g. lower especially the ham threshold to something way below
zero, so misdetected spam "on the brink" isn't autolearned as ham. Also
very effective is the autolearning of spamtrapped spam. One or two
accounts that are distributed and surely can only get spam casn already
have good impact.
I agree that a few users who subscribe just to every list they can find
and attract shitloads of "legitimate" advertising spam can be a real
nuisance and may spoil the Bayes DB to an extent that it's not helpful. It
very much depends on your userbase.
With autolearning one has also to remember that it is not the "raw" hit
count that gets used. Autolearning discards several rule groups, for
instance I think it doesn't count the network rules. So, what you think
should be autolearned because the hits are above threshold may not
actually hit the required threshold.

Kai