Spam from .us domains

Paul A Sand pas at unh.edu
Fri May 2 17:42:30 IST 2014

> > Is anyone else getting hammered by spam saying it is from .us domains ?
> >  If have you figured a way to stop it yet ?

I’ve noticed an uptick, but the IPs seem to get listed by SpamHaus
pretty quickly, so the damage here is minor.
There’s (of course) a lot of valid mail ending in .us.

For those of us who are easily amused, a random sample of domains:

    buildyournew-shednow.us
    getmoney-whenyouneedto.us
    trythisnew-kindoftubnow.us
    younewrate-drop-info.us
    yourecentpolicy-notice.us
    yourmustsee-autodealz.us
    yournewvision-healthinfo.us

We’re also seeing the same sort of thing from the .me TLD (Montenegro), but
the naming algorithm differs. Some hostnames:

    algal.futureexplain.me
    allseed.wrongwisdom.me
    fumingly.wetpicture.me
    interwarring.warmrake.me
    otoneurasthenia.cleandustpan.me
    polyploidy.amongstalk.me
    resought.bentwasher.me
    toyless.hangingexperience.me

A toyless hanging experience? Does not sound like fun.

--
-- Paul A Sand <pas at unh.edu>
-- Information Technology / University of New Hampshire