Live scoring vs. Test scoring

Max Kipness max at inmindlabs.com
Fri Jul 4 15:10:52 IST 2014

Good morning Guys,

I've noticed something that I'm a bit puzzled about.  Today I was
testing a spam message that got through with a low score. It's one of
those with a subject as ???????? and all it had was a very large
attachment.

Well when it passed through MailScanner the first time, it received the
following score:

score=1.911
required 4.5

BAYES_50 0.80
DCC_CHECK 1.10
HTML_MESSAGE 0.00
T_OBFU_PDF_ATTACH 0.01

Not sure why the bayes was so low as bayes is pretty much 99% accurate
at this point, but the real question is that when I ran it through
SpamAssassin again, it several other rules. I understand it could hit
other databases like Pyzor and get listed after I received my copy.
However, shouldn't the TVD_FW_GRAPHIC_NAME_LONG BODY, SARE_GIF_ATTACH
and DIET_SPAM, etc have hit the first time?

Am I missing something? Overall my accuracy is really high, but just
curious about this issue.

 pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
 1.3 TVD_FW_GRAPHIC_NAME_LONG BODY: Long image attachment name
 0.8 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%
                            [score: 0.4576]
 0.0 T_OBFU_PDF_ATTACH      BODY: PDF attachment with generic MIME type
 0.2 DIET_SPAM              FULL: DIET_SPAM
 1.4 SARE_GIF_ATTACH        FULL: Email has a inline gif
 1.1 DCC_CHECK              Detected as bulk mail by DCC
(dcc-servers.net)
 1.4 PYZOR_CHECK            Listed in Pyzor (http://pyzor.sf.net/)
 0.3 DIGEST_MULTIPLE        Message hits more than one network digest
check
 2.2 SB_GIF_AND_NO_URIS     SB_GIF_AND_NO_URIS
-1.1 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

Thanks,
Max