Allow a trusted sender to send any type of file

J Gao jgao at veecall.com
Tue Sep 3 21:26:09 IST 2013

On 13-08-30 11:23 AM, Robert Lopez wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM, J Gao <jgao at veecall.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a trusted developer send us binary files from time to time.
>> MailScanner always blocked these file so as administrator I have to
>> retrieve those files manually.
>>
>> How can I allow the email with any type of attachment from this
>> developer to deliver to the recipient?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Gao
>> --
>>        __
>>      _|==|_
>>       ('')__/
>>   >--(`^^')
>>     (`^'^'`)
>>     `======'
>> --

> As Alex stated.
>
> Another way is put them in a file.
>
> For example...
>
> Make certain you have a "rules" directory in your MailScanner
> directory, probably already have it.
>
> In MailScanner.conf:Scan Messages = %rules-dir%/scan.messages.rules
>

> You may already have the file in your rules dir (version depending).
> If not create it and put something like this into it to help you get
> started:
>
> # The purpose of this file is to establish a rule set
> # to be used to tell MailScanner if an email should be
> # scanned or not.
> #
> # The question is:
> #  "Should an email having this pattern be scanned?"
> #
> # An answer of yes causes it to be scanned.
> # An answer of no  causes it to by pass all scanning.
> #
> # The line format is "ruleset pattern       answer"
> #
> # A sample ruleset would look like this:
> #   From:     ignore.domain.com         no
> #   From:     trusted.email.address     no
> #   FromOrTo: default                       yes
>

> From: yourtrustedemailaddress.their.domain            no

I enabled "Scan Messages = %rules-dir%/scan.messages.rules", then
created the rule file with a test account. After retsart MailScanner,  I
send an email from that test account with an executable file. The
MailScanner blocked it again:

This is a message from the MailScanner E-Mail Virus Protection Service
The original e-mail attachment "bzip2"
is on the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and has been
replaced by this warning message.

If you wish to receive a copy of the original attachment, please
e-mail helpdesk and include the whole of this message
in your request. Alternatively, you can call them, with
the contents of this message to hand when you call.