Using DetectPUA yes in clamd.conf

housey at sme-ecom.co.uk housey at sme-ecom.co.uk
Tue Oct 22 14:06:25 IST 2013

Hi

I use MailScanner with clamd

Ive had a few instances recently (2 today) where some emails with
infected msword attachments got through to some end users.

Sophos running on the users desktops detected Exp/20120158-A in the
attachments.

I got hold of the attachments and ran through clamdscan which didn't
detect any viruses

[root at servera ~]# clamdscan -v /tmp/invoiceBQW8OYJDDGXIPN8H63.doc
/tmp/invoiceBQW8OYJDDGXIPN8H63.doc: OK

I then enabled "DetectPUA yes" in clamd.conf and now it detects a
possible virus

[root at servera ~]# clamdscan -v /tmp/invoiceBQW8OYJDDGXIPN8H63.doc
/tmp/invoiceBQW8OYJDDGXIPN8H63.doc: PUA.RFT.EmbeddedOLE FOUND

I found this on the clamav web site - its quite an old article and does
say not to use in production environments.

http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/2007/09/03/detection-of-potentially-unwanted-applications/

Im thinking about enabled DetectPUA in clamd.conf but adding PUA* to
the directive "Virus Names Which Are Spam" in
/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf -  so its treated as spam rather than
a virus (so its quarantined as I delete viruses).

Has anyone any experience of using DetectPUA?

Thanks

Paul