ZIP file attachment not recognized and therefore no file check performed

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at vidadigital.com.pa
Wed Oct 16 15:53:38 IST 2013

<! rant>
It's not the first time I've encountered problems with a similar setup.

Barracuda gateways mangle the e-mails in unpredictable, nonstandard ways - first of which being that all e-mail appears to come from the gateway, making IP-based blocklists using "fail2ban" difficult, just to give one example.

I'd personally rather depend on an open source system that *does* work, like MailScanner; I would question the usefulness of a Barracuda mail gateway that not only is useless against 0-day exploits, but also mangles e-mail in unpredictable ways "breaking" other lines of defense instead of working in tandem.

MailScanner does archiving, MCP, and a bunch of other things that Barracuda either doesn't do outright or charges through the nose to do.

</rant !>

Your lab may have a different configuration; it may be that you have a rule such as "accept e-mail from 192.168.x.y as is" and you're not really scanning the way you believe you are. Assume nothing.

You mention you've tried sending from GMail. Have you tried reproducing the actual, real environment the originals were sent in? GMail is probably "doing things right" and not sending "weird" e-mails. Perhaps you'd have to go as far as infecting a VM and seeing what it does.

Do you accept TNEF? It's also unpredictable enough to be used by some virus writers since only Microsoft understands it - and not 100% at that. Is the exploit TNEF-encoded?

Perhaps with some additional details regarding the nature of the "0-day" we can look further into it.

<! rant>
… and at least, with MailScanner, you get real help from real users, not boilerplate "it's not my problem" e-mails from a manufacturer that doesn't really care about your problems.
</rant !>

--

Alex Neuman van der Hans
Reliant Technologies / Vida Digital