Betr.: Re: "Problem Messages" every hour

Arjan Melein Amelein at dantumadiel.eu
Tue Oct 1 11:20:37 IST 2013

> Just a question, if adding -U to the the first like of
> /usr/sbin/MailScanner helps to solve some issues, why isn't that done
> as default ?

If you check 'perl -h' you'll see:
  -U                allow unsafe operations

If I remember correctly some functions got deprecated and changed in the newer Perl versions, the -U is only needed till the actual code that causes the problem is updated.
I think this was a discussion about running MS on an 'enterprise' distro as opposed to a more bleeding edge one too, although I think the latest enterprise distro's will have the problematic Perl version as well. (They already do or they will in the near future).

I'm not 100% sure about the above because it's been a while :-)

-
Arjan