Issue with MailScanner not blocking incoming attachments that SHOULD be denied.

Jason Young jyoung71 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 01:24:50 GMT 2013

Hi Mark,

The file is a windows executable ... I have tried a .exe and now also a .com
file wit hteh same result (mail is not blocked / quarantined).

I put the test files onto the centos box and ran the "file" & "file -i"
command over them

[root at mailscanner ~]# file test.exe
test.exe: PE32+ executable for MS Windows (console) Mono/.Net assembly
[root at mailscanner ~]# file test.com
test.com: PE32 executable for MS Windows (console) Intel 80386 32-bit
[root at mailscanner ~]# file -i test.com
test.com: application/octet-stream; charset=binary
[root at mailscanner ~]# file -i test.exe
test.exe: application/octet-stream; charset=binary

I had read on a forum somewhere that someone recommended changing the
MailScanner.conf file command to file -i .. But it does not seem to make any
difference.

There does not seem to be anything in the headers about a .exe or anything
about attachments.  But outlook knows there is a .exe or .com attachment and
it blocks it with itself.

Regards

Jason Young