New process for every day the machine has been running

Paul Sand pas at unh.edu
Sat Nov 9 09:47:02 GMT 2013

* Ken Smith <kens at kensnet.org> [2013-11-08 19:17]:
> Running Centos 6.4, mailscanner-4.84.5-3, sendmail-8.14.4-8.el6.x86_64,
> SELinux enabled
>
> The machine has one of these processes for each day it has been running.
>
> smmsp    18382  0.0  0.0  78164  2064 ?        SNs  Oct25   0:00
> sendmail: Queue runner at 00:15:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
>
> Should they be getting killed off somehow.

I am running pretty much the same setup (except no SELinux). I only
see one of these processes, started when MailScanner starts. So they
shouldn’t be getting killed, but you shouldn’t have more than the first
one.

The Mailscanner startup script is supposed to start the sendmail processes
itself. (I.e., not through the normal /etc/init.d/sendmail script.)
So one thing to look at:

    # chkconfig --list sendmail

Should be:

    sendmail       	0:off	1:off	2:off	3:off	4:off	5:off 6:off

Just guessing.

--
-- Paul A Sand <pas at unh.edu>
-- Information Technology / University of New Hampshire