storing messages - found permission pb... not enought...

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu May 23 14:01:59 IST 2013

On 23 May 2013 12:40, Alessandro Dentella <sandro at e-den.it> wrote:
>> ... If you do a "MailScanner --lint", that should point you in the
>> right direction.
>
> True... I run it and it finds:
>
> Could not open file >/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/28403/1.header: Permission denied
> Cannot create + lock headers file /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/28403/1.header, Permission denied at /usr/share/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 523
>
> In fact postfix does not have permission to write there. I fixed it and it
> turns out as a stupid conf problem (Quarantine User = user)
>
> Now MailScanner --lint doesn't show any other problem, but still messages
> doesn't get into quarantine...
>
> Any thoughts?

Ok, so now we don't have any syntax errors, That's good:-).
Next over to semantics... Best is to do a debug run (this is described
in the MAQ/wiki)... Simple steps:
stop mailscanner via the init script ("service MailScanner stop", or
"/etc/init.d/MailScanner stop")

Start postfix/you MTA ... In the default MailScanner init script
there's provision for this:
service MailScanner startin
or
/etc/init.d/MailScanner startin

start the debug run via "MailScanner --debug". This will start
MailScanner without forking any children and without closing
stdin/stderr... And it will wait for exactly 1 message (or rather ...
one batch), process it and then exit... whilst spewing a bit of debug
info onto the screen.
Best is to run that as the postfix user (even though it should work
perfectly well from root... you could do two runs, one from root, one
from postfix.. The process should change user to whatever you have the
"Run User" set to... ie postfix:-).
After a bit of chatter, it'll hang, waiting for a messagebatch...
Which you need provide via normal SMTP methods.

We'll see what that gives you.

Cheers!
--
-- Glenn