Filetype Checks: No executables on Greek Emails

Nikolaos Pavlidis Nikolaos.Pavlidis at beds.ac.uk
Mon Mar 25 08:28:03 GMT 2013

Hello all,

Yes valid point, sorry

fsl-mailscanner-4.84.5-3

Kind regards,

Nik

From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info [mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Martin Hepworth
Sent: 23 March 2013 09:43
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: Filetype Checks: No executables on Greek Emails

What version of mailscanner?

On Friday, 22 March 2013, Nikolaos Pavlidis wrote:
Hello all,

I'm having an issue with Mailscanner which weirdly enough has been already discussed here
http://markmail.org/message/56fofuvh4tzde7hz#query:+page:1+mid:mu77m5qs6zjhh2jx+state:results

The problem is:

Mar 22 15:00:18 smtp1 MailScanner[17935]: Filetype Checks: No executables (r2JAPluH011324 )
Mar 22 15:00:46 smtp1 MailScanner[17935]: Saved entire message to /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20130322/r2JAPluH011324

And:

[root at smtp1 r2JAPluH011324]# pwd
/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20130322/r2JAPluH011324
[root at smtp1 r2JAPluH011324]# ll
total 28K
-rw------- 1 root root  22K Mar 22 15:00 dfr2JAPluH011324
-rw------- 1 root root 3.7K Mar 22 15:00 qfr2JAPluH011324
[root at smtp1 r2JAPluH011324]# file -i *
dfr2JAPluH011324: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
qfr2JAPluH011324: text/plain; charset=unknown

But I have also added the lines suggested in the previous thread so my filetype.rules.conf looks like:

<snip>
allow   text            -                       -
allow   -       text/plain      -                       -
allow   -       text/x-mail     -                       -
allow   -       message/rfc822  -                       -
allow   \bscript        -                       -
allow   archive         -                       -
allow   postscript      -                       -
deny    self-extract    No self-extracting archives     No self-extracting archives allowed
deny    executable      No executables          No programs allowed
<snip>

I have restarted mailscanner before re-queuing the message but always the same result...

Any ideas/recommendations would be much appreciated,

Kind regards,

Nik

Martin Hepworth, CISSP
Oxford, UK