Robert Lopez rlopezcnm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 22:32:30 GMT 2013

Here is the definitive answer for anyone who later finds this thread.
It is from the file /usr/share/doc/mailscanner/examples/conf.d/README

# In this directory, you can put files that will be automatically included
# as if they were inserted at the end of the main MailScanner.conf file
# in the directory above this one.
#
# They should be read in alphabetical order.
#
# NOTE: If you change the value of a %variable% then you must redefine all
# the settings that use that %variable% here, as the %variable%
# substitutions are done when the files are initially read, not later when
# settings are looked up when MailScanner is processing messages.
# So if, for example, you change the value of %rules-dir% in an included
# file here, you must reset the values of the settings
#        Maximum Message Size
#        Is Definitely Not Spam
#        Enable Spam Bounce
# in order for them all to use the new value of %rules-dir%.
# My apologies for this, but it is only possible to know the values of
# each %variable% when the configuration files are read, and not when
# the settings are evaluated as they could be set at any point within the
# files, giving an unknown value of the %variable% at that point.
#
# --
# Jules
# MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk

So before modifying any %something% line in a conf.d/ file grep for
that %something% string in the .../MailScanner/MailScanner.conf file
and modify all of them.