Watermarking and spoofed sender address

Martin Hepworth maxsec at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 13:40:23 GMT 2013

the 'watermaking' is based on the ability of mailScanner to addin an extra
header containing a (I think) hash of your Org-name salted with the
predefined secret in your MailScanner.conf

http://www.mailscanner.info/MailScanner.conf.index.html#Watermark%20Header

Not any use for this case and it's purely for use in MailScanner code.

I would check your whitelisting rules (definitely no spam etc) and make
sure you're not whitelisting your own domain, this is a common mistake and
lets alot of spam through that would normally be detected. If you need to
whitelist your domain then use the ip-addresses of the internal email
servers and not your domain.

--
Martin Hepworth, CISSP
Oxford, UK