Certain Spamassassin rules do not seem to be firing all of the time

Duncan, Brian M. brian.duncan at kattenlaw.com
Fri Jun 14 19:33:33 IST 2013

http://pastebin.com/VQs2FSxK

I also tried disabling caching with SpamAssassin in my Mailscanner.conf today. I don't think it made a difference..   I don't have many examples today, it seems as if this specific spammer is only sending out a few today.

The above example just came in within the last 15 minutes.  It did manage to get classified as Spam, but when I compare what rules it hit on going through MailScanner/Spamassassin vs using the above text and scanning with -test-mode, some of the rules are not hitting when going through MailScanner/Spamassassin.

The rules it hits on for me through Mailscanner:

                BAYES_50 0.80, LOTS_OF_MONEY 0.00, RAZOR2_CHECK 8.50,
                RP_MATCHES_RCVD -0.00)

The rules it hits on according to spamassassin -test-mode:

Content analysis details:   (28.1 hits, 6.5 required)
 6.6 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%
                            [score: 1.0000]
 6.5 URIBL_JP_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the JP SURBL blocklist
                            [URIs: eldmil.com]
 5.0 URIBL_DBL_SPAM         Contains an URL listed in the DBL blocklist
                            [URIs: eldmil.com]
  10 URIBL_BLACK            Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist
                            [URIs: eldmil.com]
-0.0 RP_MATCHES_RCVD        Envelope sender domain matches handover relay domain
 8.5 RAZOR2_CHECK           Listed in Razor2 (http://razor.sf.net/)
 0.0 LOTS_OF_MONEY          Huge... sums of money
-8.4 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

------ End of SpamAssassin results, Original message follows --------

Thanks for your assistance.

Brian

BRIAN M. DUNCAN
Data Security Administrator
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
525 W. Monroe Street / Chicago, IL 60661-3693
p / (312) 577-8045 f / (312) 577-4490
brian.duncan at kattenlaw.com / www.kattenlaw.com