ScamNailer update STILL not working

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 1 20:30:02 IST 2013

On 6/30/2013 5:52 AM, Jeff Earickson wrote:

> I have still been getting constant "not working" out of ScamNailer lately:
>
> Failed to retrieve http://mailscanner.eu/emails.2013-260.11 at
> /etc/MailScanner/ScamNailer line 289.
>
> or
>
> Failed to retrieve http://cdn.mailscanner.info/emails.2013-260.11 at
> /etc/MailScanner/ScamNailer line 289.
>
> This is after applying Mr. Sapiro's patch.  Are these two websites dead?  I
> can get to cdn.mailscanner.info via
> web, but that is it.  Any ideas?

This is normal and expected behavior with my patch. Since the
information as to the number of the latest update is not available in
the TXT record at emails.msupdate.greylist.bastionmail.com, I guess that
the latest update is 99 and sequentially retrieve the updates until I
get a 404. In your case, the updates 260.1 through 260.10 were
successfully retrieved on this or a prior run and 260.11 didn't exist
yet and returned a 404. I then reset the current update to 10 and proceed.

If you don't want to see the "Failed to retrieve" message, change the
part of the patched Scamnailetr which reads

        unless ($res->is_success) {
          warn "Failed to retrieve $urlbase$currentbase.$i";
          $currentupdate = $i - 1;
        }

        unless ($res->is_success) {
          $currentupdate = $i - 1;