Whitelisting problems

Alex Neuman alex at vidadigital.com.pa
Fri Jan 4 17:43:09 GMT 2013

Plus you have the syntax wrong.

From:   .blackberry.com yes

... in /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.whitelist.rules should work.

I don't know why you think "from something default" makes any sense,
"from something yes" as an answer to the question "is this
whitelisted" makes more sense, since the default is "no".

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 1/4/2013 6:49 AM Gary Faith spake the following:
>> I am attempting to whitelist e-mail from blackberry servers but not having any
>> success.  Since I read that MailScanner bases the whtelist on the envelope,
>> here is the envelope (I changed the e-mail address):
>>
>> EHLO smtp02.bis6.us.blackberry.com
>> MAIL FROM:<SRS0=+AiNi2=K5=mydomain.net=user at srs.bis6.us.blackberry.com
>> <mailto:SRS0=+AiNi2=K5=mydomain.net=user at srs.bis6.us.blackberry.com>> SIZE=876
>> RCPT TO:user at mydomain.net <mailto:TO:user at mydomain.net>( mailto:user at mydomain.net)
>>      by mscan.asdmonline.net (8.13.6/8.13.6/SuSE Linux 0.8) with ESMTP id
>> r04EPuc6025687
>>
>> I have tried whitelisting via Mailwatch:
>>
>> @srs.bis6.us.blackberry.com     default
>> *@*.*.us.blackberry.com <mailto:*@*.*.us.blackberry.com>           default
>> 74.82.85.                                 default
>>
>> with no success.  I even tried to whitelist in the MailScanner rule file
>> (spam.whitelist.rules):
>>
>> mscan:/etc/MailScanner/rules # cat spam.whitelist.rules
>> # If you are basing a blacklist on this then you can refer to
>> # a null (empty) sender address with "/^$/" as the address to match.
>> #
>> # This is where you can build a Spam WhiteList
>> # Addresses matching in here, with the value
>> # "yes" will never be marked as spam.
>> #From:          152.78.         yes
>> #From:          130.246.        yes
>> #From:          host:soton.ac.uk yes # Note this is slower than using the IP
>> From:           74.82.85.       yes
>> FromOrTo:       default         no
>>
>> and the message keep getting scanned and blocked:
>>

>> Score         Matching Rule   Description
>> -0.50         BAYES_00        Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
>> 2.00  DCC_CHECK       Listed in DCC (http://rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/)
>> 2.00  DIGEST_MULTIPLE         Message hits more than one network digest check
>> 2.50  PYZOR_CHECK     Listed in Pyzor (http://pyzor.sf.net/)
>> 1.53  RATWARE_EFROM   Bulk email fingerprint (envfrom) found
>> -0.00         SPF_PASS        SPF: sender matches SPF record
>>

>> I am running MailScanner version 4.83.4 on SLES 10 64-bit.  I don't know where
>> to go from here.
>>
>> Gary
>>

> You can try something like this in spam.assassin.prefs.com;
>
> header    FROM_BLACKBERRY       From =~ /\@blackberry\./
> describe  FROM_BLACKBERRY       email From blackberry user
> score     FROM_BLACKBERRY       -20
>

> adjust the score accordingly. You might have to play with the regex a little
> til it works for you.

Alex Neuman van der Hans
Reliant Technologies / Vida Digital
http://vidadigital.com.pa/

+507-6781-9505
+507-832-6725
+1-440-253-9789 (USA)

Follow @AlexNeuman on Twitter
http://facebook.com/vidadigital

-- So-called "legal disclaimers" are not legally binding, so don't
bother. A cute graphic saying "save the planet, don't print this" can
potentially create more CO2, not less, so don't bother either.