Outgoing scanning

Jonas Akrouh Larsen jonas at vrt.dk
Tue Feb 19 14:59:04 GMT 2013

Hi Alex, thanks for responding

> If you *absolutely* must have this, you should make sure you enable
> authentication and SPF for your outgoing users. Otherwise, someone could
> "bounce" messages off of you to spam a third party.
>
> For example, if I send you a message "from"
> thirdparty at someonelseesserver.com "to" jonas at vrt.dk and you determine
> it's spam, it'll be bounced "to" thirdparty at someoneelsesserver.com.
>
> Also if I send a message purporting to be "from" jonas at vrt.dk "to"
> jonas at vrt.dk it'll get to you anyways, since it'll be "bounced" to you, even if
> *I* was the one who actually sent it.
>
> If you do all of this you can change:
> Spam Actions = deliver header "X-Spam-Status: Yes"
> Spam Actions = bounce

2 things about what you write:

1/ I would obviously only consider authenticated mails as outgoing so I would never be in a situation where i bounce spam to innocent users, only internal users as I wrote in my post.

2/ setting the spam actions to bounce doesn't help me if the internal mail is considered a high scoring spam, hence why I posted - There is no bounce command for high scoring spam, so my internal users would NOT know that the email they send never left the our own servers.