emails that attempt to kill mailscanner {Scanned}

Jonathan Horne jonathanmhorne at outlook.com
Wed Aug 14 14:43:10 IST 2013

Hi richard, thanks for your reply.

personally, i dont have much mail traffic thru my server, i just have my one email domain, and an average day i process about 150 on a heavy day, 120 or so of which will be spam.  my server doesnt even hit a 1.0 load average.

i did install fail2ban, and i built some pretty effective regex to keep the repeaters from continually sending more spam to my server, but its these strange emails that try to kill mailscanner process that i see every day all day.  as i mentioned, they seem to be always high scoring spams anyway, i just wonder if there is malicious code in the emails that i doing this.   since my last /var/log/messages turn over, its happened 170 times.

thanks,

Jonathan