Fedora 18 and MailScanner

Quintin Giesbrecht q at snj.ca
Mon Apr 8 18:55:47 IST 2013

I have searched the archives, googled, etc...I cannot find a solution to this, so if someone has already asked/solved this, please kindly point me to the artice or post.  Thanks!

I was a long time user of Mailscanner until about a year ago, when my firm bought an appliance - which I have grown to HATE (in respect to spam/anti-virus)...so, I am trying to setup a new MailScanner machine...

I am getting an error when starting MailScanner.  From the logs:

Apr  8 12:40:57 localhost systemd[1]: Starting SYSV: MailScanner is an open-source E-Mail Gateway Virus Scanner....
Apr  8 12:40:58 localhost MailScanner[1906]: Starting MailScanner daemons:
Apr  8 12:40:58 localhost MailScanner[1906]: incoming sendmail: [  OK  ]
Apr  8 12:40:58 localhost MailScanner[1906]: outgoing sendmail: [  OK  ]
Apr  8 12:40:59 localhost MailScanner[1906]: MailScanner:       [  OK  ]
Apr  8 12:40:59 localhost systemd[1]: PID file /var/run/MailScanner.pid not readable (yet?) after start.
Apr  8 12:42:15 localhost systemd[1]: MailScanner.service never wrote its PID file. Failing.
Apr  8 12:42:15 localhost systemd[1]: Failed to start SYSV: MailScanner is an open-source E-Mail Gateway Virus Scanner..
Apr  8 12:42:15 localhost systemd[1]: Unit MailScanner.service entered failed state
Apr  8 12:45:16 localhost chronyd[675]: Selected source 198.100.149.6

It is failing to write the PID file.  Anyone run into this?  Any ideas as to the issue, or how to solve?  If you need more info, please ask.

Thanks so much for any help.

Quintin Giesbrecht
Smith Neufeld Jodoin LLP
IT Manager
q at snj.ca<mailto:q at snj.ca>
(204)346-5106

This communication, including its attachments, if any, is confidential and intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed, and may contain proprietary and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, disclosure, copying, other distribution of this communication or taking of any action in reliance on its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately so that we may amend our records. Then, please delete this message, and its attachments, if any, without reading, copying or forwarding it to anyone.