cdn.mailscanner.info down?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 2 16:43:01 IST 2013

Steve Basford wrote:

> I grab scamnailer.ndb from mailscanner.eu and mirror on the Sanesecurity
> mirrors but this file seems to be still updated here too:
>
> http://www.mailscanner.eu/phishing.bad.sites.conf.master
>
> So maybe just an issue with cdn.mailscanner.info domain?

the server at cdn.mailscanner.info responds to ping, but hasn't been
accepting port 80 connects since 27 March.

Thanks for the tip about www.mailscanner.eu. I replaced
cdn.mailscanner.info with www.mailscanner.eu in my ScamNailer script and
in /usr/sbin/update_bad_phishing_sites and they are working now.

Note that Kai Schaetzl's post in another thread about
safe.phishing.sites (phishing.safe.sites ?) doesn't seem to apply to me
as /usr/sbin/update_phishing_sites gets its data from
http://www.mailscanner.info/phishing.safe.sites.conf.master which still
works for me.

Also note that the standard MailScanner configuration includes

Web Bug Replacement = http://cdn.mailscanner.info/1x1spacer.gif

which may cause issues with email that has a web bug disarmed. This too
can be changed to

Web Bug Replacement = http://www.mailscanner.eu/1x1spacer.gif

or that can be put in a file in /etc/MailScanner/conf.d.