Messages appearing to be lost

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Sep 5 19:35:06 IST 2012

on 9/5/2012 10:58 AM Ken Smith spake the following:
> Hi All,
>
> Just joined the list but have been using MailScanner since late 2006 in
> soho applications. In one of these installations there are comments
> about messages not getting delivered.
>
> Logwatch for the machine says things like this:-
>
> MailScanner Status:
>   	232 messages Scanned by MailScanner
>   	23.3 Total MB
>   	118 Spam messages detected by MailScanner
>   		2 hits from MailScanner SpamAssassin cache
>   	14 Content Problems found by MailScanner
>   	165 Messages delivered by MailScanner
>

> The environment is Centos 5 and MailScanner-4.84.5-2
>
> Whereas the others have Logwatch statuses (stati?) like this one, that
> is also Centos but MailScanner 4.75.11-1
>
>   MailScanner Status:
>   	2659 messages Scanned by MailScanner
>   	113.8 Total MB
>   	1649 Spam messages detected by MailScanner
>   		18 hits from MailScanner SpamAssassin cache
>   	291 Content Problems found by MailScanner
>   	2659 Messages delivered by MailScanner
>
> The general content of "grep MailScanner /var/log/maillog"  is similar
> in the two machine. Is there something specific that I should be looking
> for to help trace this?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Ken

I will assume that the first is set to delete certain problem messages, while
the second is set to tag and deliver everything... One of my systems reports
as follows...

 MailScanner Status:
 	392 messages Scanned by MailScanner
 	48.3 Total MB
 	16 Spam messages detected by MailScanner
 		1 Spam messages with action(s) attachment,store,deliver,header
 		15 Spam messages with action(s) store
 		6 hits from MailScanner SpamAssassin cache
 	100 Content Problems found by MailScanner
 	377 Messages delivered by MailScanner

 	392 Messages logged to MailWatch database

Mine shows that they were stored and not delivered. Maybe your mailscanner
code in logwatch needs some more work?

I can send you what I have if you want.