MS ignores "Spam Actions = attachment"

Michal Szymanski msz at astrouw.edu.pl
Tue Oct 9 11:14:07 IST 2012

After upgrading, both OS from CentOS 5.3 to 6.2 and MailScanner to the
latest (at the time of upgrade) version 4.84.5, I noticed that Spam
messages are no longer delivered as attachments.

I have following configuration options, copied from the old conf:

Spam Actions = attachment deliver header "X-Spam-Status: Yes"
High Scoring Spam Actions = attachment deliver header "X-Spam-Status: Yes High"

In the previous environment, it was resulting in spam messages looking
like:

[...]

[-- Attachment #1 --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: quoted-printable, Size: 1.1K --]

Our MailScanner believes that the attachment to this message sent to you

    From: caroliniannp at buhrmann.com
 Subject: Job ad - see details! Sent through  Search engine

is Unsolicited Commercial Email (spam). Unless you are sure that this message
is incorrectly thought to be spam, please delete this message without opening
it. Opening spam messages might allow the spammer to verify your email
address.

If you believe that this message has been incorrectly marked as spam, please
forward this email to postmaster.

Date: 20120829
 pts rule name              description
 0.9 RCVD_IN_PBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus PBL
                            [109.96.248.34 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
 4.3 RCVD_IN_XBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
 3.0 BAYES_80               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 80 to 95%
                            [score: 0.9161]
 0.1 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to trusted network by a host with no rDNS

[-- Attachment #2 --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Encoding: binary, Size: 1.9K --]
[...]

so I could, for some false-positive cases, use the attachment as a
"clean" message.

Now, after I upgrade, I am getting the spam "in-line", no attachments
generated:

[...]

Hello,

A US e-builder IT company, located in Michigan,
is looking  for European personnell  to act as intermediate chain for IT
[...]

Any idea why it is ignoring the "attachment" directive in "Spam
Actions" options? The "X-Spam-Status:" line gets inserted into the
header, as instructed by the same directive, so it apparently
"goes through it".

regards, Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski (msz at astrouw dot edu dot pl)
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND