Excess number of children

Josh Beard josh at hewbert.com
Mon May 28 01:46:07 IST 2012

On 05/23/2012 03:31 AM, Johan wrote:
> I have previously used mailscanner on Ubuntu with out any problems on a
> handful computers. I have been using version 4.79.11 with perl 5.12.4.
>
> Now I have upgraded one computer to Ubuntu 12.04 and I have had several
> small problems but the major problem is that mailscanner creates and
> leaves a large number of children (reported på mailwatch). After a while
> I must reboot the computer to get the system functioning again.
>
> Im using the same config-file as before. Max number of children has been
> and still is set to 1 in the config-file.
>
> Any idea about how to solve the problem?
>
> /Johan Pålsson
>
> johan at system-b:~$ sudo MailScanner -v
> Using a hash as a reference is deprecated at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 590.
> Running on
> Linux system-b 2.6.32-22-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 3 22:02:19 UTC
> 2010 i686                                                    athlon i386
> GNU/Linux
> This is Perl version 5.014002 (5.14.2)
>
> This is MailScanner version 4.79.11
> Module versions are:
> <-snip->

I'm seeing this as well after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04.  I'm using
MailScanner from the Baruwa repo:
Linux mx1 3.2.0-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 21 16:52:17 UTC 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
This is Perl version 5.014002 (5.14.2)

This is MailScanner version 4.84.5

And as you, my only recourse is to reboot, as the system runs out of
memory.  Restarting all related processes doesn't seem to help, I just
end up with a boat load of zombies.

Josh