Excess number of children

Johan johan at oxyl.net
Wed May 23 10:31:26 IST 2012

I have previously used mailscanner on Ubuntu with out any problems on a
handful computers. I have been using version 4.79.11 with perl 5.12.4.

Now I have upgraded one computer to Ubuntu 12.04 and I have had several
small problems but the major problem is that mailscanner creates and
leaves a large number of children (reported på mailwatch). After a while
I must reboot the computer to get the system functioning again.

Im using the same config-file as before. Max number of children has been
and still is set to 1 in the config-file.

Any idea about how to solve the problem?

/Johan Pålsson

johan at system-b:~$ sudo MailScanner -v
Using a hash as a reference is deprecated at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 590.
Running on
Linux system-b 2.6.32-22-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 3 22:02:19 UTC
2010 i686                                                    athlon i386
GNU/Linux
This is Perl version 5.014002 (5.14.2)

This is MailScanner version 4.79.11
Module versions are:
1.00    AnyDBM_File
1.30    Archive::Zip
0.27    bignum
1.20    Carp
2.048   Compress::Zlib
1.119   Convert::BinHex
0.17    Convert::TNEF
2.130_02        Data::Dumper
2.30    Date::Parse
1.04    DirHandle
1.11    Fcntl
2.82    File::Basename
2.21    File::Copy
2.02    FileHandle
2.08_01 File::Path
0.22    File::Temp
0.92    Filesys::Df
3.69    HTML::Entities
3.69    HTML::Parser
3.69    HTML::TokeParser
1.25_04 IO
1.15    IO::File
1.14    IO::Pipe
2.08    Mail::Header
1.994   Math::BigInt
0.2602  Math::BigRat
3.13    MIME::Base64
5.502   MIME::Decoder
5.502   MIME::Decoder::UU
5.502   MIME::Head
5.502   MIME::Parser
3.13    MIME::QuotedPrint
5.502   MIME::Tools
0.14    Net::CIDR
1.25    Net::IP
0.19    OLE::Storage_Lite
1.04    Pod::Escapes
3.16    Pod::Simple
1.24    POSIX
1.23    Scalar::Util
1.94    Socket
2.27    Storable
1.4     Sys::Hostname::Long
0.29    Sys::Syslog
missing Test::Pod
0.98    Test::Simple
1.972101        Time::HiRes
1.02    Time::localtime

Optional module versions are:
1.76    Archive::Tar
0.27    bignum
missing Business::ISBN
missing Business::ISBN::Data
missing Data::Dump
1.821   DB_File
1.35    DBD::SQLite
1.616   DBI
1.16    Digest
1.03    Digest::HMAC
2.51    Digest::MD5
2.13    Digest::SHA1
missing Encode::Detect
0.17010 Error
0.280203        ExtUtils::CBuilder
2.2210  ExtUtils::ParseXS
2.38    Getopt::Long
missing Inline
1.08    IO::String
1.10    IO::Zlib
missing IP::Country
missing Mail::ClamAV
3.003002        Mail::SpamAssassin
missing Mail::SPF
missing Mail::SPF::Query
0.38    Module::Build
missing Net::CIDR::Lite
0.66    Net::DNS
missing Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable
missing Net::LDAP
 4.058  NetAddr::IP
missing Parse::RecDescent
missing SAVI