Problem winmail.dat and TNEF

Mike Andrews mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tue Feb 21 16:48:34 GMT 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 04:19:42PM +0000, mul wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i Have Mailscanner 4.83.25 as gateway for my exchange 2010.
>
> Some users receive bad mail with winmail.what is weird is that same email sent
> from outside to multiple recipients, will be good for three users and the last
> has winmail.dat.

This is dependent on how the outside user sends the mail. I have had this
exact problem many times. In each case where person X was getting winmail.dat
attachments from <foocorp>, while others were getting HTML mail from the same
sender, it has turned out that the sender at <foocorp> had set up mail to
person X differently from the other recipients who were getting HTML mail.

Each time, I have had the sender swear up and down that all recipients were
set up the same way, and then received an apology from the sending site's
mail admin.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx