OT: Opinions wanted please

Alex Neuman alex at vidadigital.com.pa
Wed Dec 26 12:20:03 GMT 2012

I would use an autoreply message like the one created by Webmin, since
you can tell it *not* to reply a second time if the e-mail comes in
before a certain timeframe. This prevents loops a bit further and
lessens the impact a busy account might have, since it only sends an
autoreply if a sender hasn't written in more than X minutes since last
time.

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Jeff Earickson <jaearick at colby.edu> wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I see from a later email that you got it working, but to answer your
> question, I have
> an alias for "ls":
>
> ls      /usr/bin/ls -CFl
>
> So one of those options puts an asterisk at the end of files that are
> executable.
> Sorry about that, that could puzzle you.  Glad you got it working.
>
> Even though we moved Colby's email to Google 3 or 4 years ago, we have
> never been
> able to get rid of our legacy email server (now virtual); one of the
> big reasons is that
> we don't want to loose our redirect feature from these perl scripts.
> They are very handy.
>
> -----------------------------------
> Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D
> Senior Server System Administrator
> Colby College,
> 4214 Mayflower Hill,
> Waterville ME, 04901-8842
> 207-859-4214 (fax 207-859-4186)
> Eastern Time Zone, USA
> -----------------------------------
>

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:
>> Jeff,
>>
>> My Mprog line is identical to yours. It's the default of the Centos install.
>>
>> I don't have a directory under /usr named "adm" or a directory anywhere on my
>> system named sm.bin. Do you think I should create it? yum shows no package that
>> provides it as well.
>>
>> What does the "*" at the end of the /etc/mail/redirectstu.pl* represent?
>>
>> I realize MailScanner doesn't come into play here, but that's how I start and
>> restart sendmail. I've got mailman running on another older system that uses the
>> same scheme, so I tried to compare what was there. The files on that system are
>> in /etc/smrsh. I'll do a little googling to see what I can find on Centos 6.3 smrsh.
>>
>> Thanks for the help. I'll be working on this from home since I need this done by
>> Monday.
>>
>> Quoting Jeff Earickson <jaearick at colby.edu>:
>>
>>> Steve,
>>>
>>> I am running all of this on Redhat 6.3, same as Centos.  I build and
>>> install sendmail from source code, so I have the /usr/sbin/smrsh on my
>>> system.  My /usr/adm/sm.bin directory looks like so:
>>>
>>> (106)> ls -l
>>> total 0
>>> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 26 Apr 12  2011 redirectstaff.pl ->
>>> /etc/mail/redirectstaff.pl*
>>> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 24 Apr 12  2011 redirectstu.pl ->
>>> /etc/mail/redirectstu.pl*
>>> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 17 Apr 12  2011 vacation -> /usr/bin/vacation*
>>>
>>> Where the perl scripts I attached reside in /etc/mail, chown
>>> root:mail, chmod 755.  The Mprog line in my sendmail.cf looks like:
>>>
>>> Mprog,                P=/usr/sbin/smrsh, F=lsDFMoqeu9, S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL,
>>> R=EnvToL/HdrToL, D=$z:/,
>>>
>>> I would suggest using the debug feature in the script(s), and then
>>> looking at the files it dumps in /tmp.

> [...]

Alex Neuman van der Hans
Reliant Technologies / Vida Digital
http://vidadigital.com.pa/

+507-6781-9505
+507-832-6725
+1-440-253-9789 (USA)

Follow @AlexNeuman on Twitter
http://facebook.com/vidadigital

-- So-called "legal disclaimers" are not legally binding, so don't
bother. A cute graphic saying "save the planet, don't print this" can
potentially create more CO2, not less, so don't bother either.