Spam Attacks

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Thu Sep 15 06:28:36 IST 2011

Hi

I'm using good old fashioned sendmail as my mta.... It has a feature called
"greet_pause" "Dunnno if qmail or postfix has this feature, but what this does
is delay sending banners out for a specified amount of time (usually
configured for between 1 -5 seconds). If a spammer / slammer starts sending
before the acknowledgement from sendmail, the connection is summarily dropped.

Hope this helps all who have run into the slamming phenomenon.

Eli

On Tuesday 13 September 2011 13:36:44 Johan Hendriks wrote:
> >Hi All,
> >Thanks for your replies. As of today I've pointed 10 domains to a new
> >gateway and here are some stats.
> >http://dominion.blacknight.ie/~paul/postfix.txt
> >It's a bit crazy.
>
> [OT]