spamassassin issues after upgrading from 4.83.4 to 4.84.3

Scott B. Anderson sbanderson at impromed.com
Wed Sep 7 16:54:50 IST 2011

After I upgraded MS the other day spamassassin started scoring 0 on all emails that it was checking.  so I Googled and ran a manual sa-update...no luck.  I did some more digging and sure enough, spamassassin --lint --debug showed it was looking at /usr/local/share/spamassassin instead of /usr/share/spamassassin, so I figured a quick symlink would take care of it for now and future releases.  ( ln -s /usr/share/spamassassin /usr/local/share/spamassassin )  but spam score still has remained at 0 even though spamassassin --lint now finds all the default config files.  ?  I am out of ideas, and it is probably something simple that I'm overlooking.

To troubleshoot I also re-installed the Clam-SA easy install package, but it didn't make a difference.

OS is Fedora 12 (yes, I plan on moving to centos or Ubuntu next time I set up a MS server) and pretty much up to date.

I am using sendmail as MTA.

Am I looking at Perl module hell, file permission issues or something else?  If you need more information, just ask and I'll send it.

MS Lint and MS -v follow:

Trying to setlogsock(unix)

Reading configuration file /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
Reading configuration file /etc/MailScanner/conf.d/README
Read 867 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
Read 4525 hostnames from the phishing blacklists
Config: calling custom init function SQLLogging
Initialising SQL Logging temp files

Checking version numbers...
Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.84.3) is correct.

ERROR: The "envelope_sender_header" in your spam.assassin.prefs.conf
ERROR: is not correct, it should match X-ImproMed-MailScanner-From

Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
Using SpamAssassin results cache
Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
SpamAssassin reported no errors.
Connected to Processing Attempts Database
Created Processing Attempts Database successfully
There are 3 messages in the Processing Attempts Database
Using locktype = posix
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = esets clamav"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamavmodule, esets
Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
name="./1/eicar.com", threat="Eicar test file", action="", info=""
Virus Scanning: esets found 1 infections
LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************
LibClamAV Warning: ***  This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated.     ***
LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq ***
LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************
LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************
LibClamAV Warning: ***  This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated.     ***
LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq ***
LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************
./1/eicar.com: Eicar-Test-Signature FOUND

Virus Scanning: ClamAV found 2 infections
Infected message 1 came from 10.1.1.1
Virus Scanning: Found 3 viruses
Content Checks: Need to convert HTML to plain text in 1 messages
Virus Scanner test reports:
esets said "Found virus Eicar test file in eicar.com"
ClamAV said "eicar.com contains Eicar-Test-Signature"

If any of your virus scanners (clamavmodule,esets)
are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its virus.scanners.conf.
Config: calling custom end function SQLLogging
Ending SQL Logging temp output and flushing to database
Database flush completed

here's MailScanner -v

This is Fedora release 12 (Constantine)
This is Perl version 5.010000 (5.10.0)