Troubles with Perl 5.14 on Debian

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 14:34:14 GMT 2011

On 24 November 2011 11:56, Thanos Kyritsis <djart at linux.gr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does anyone have any kinds of trouble when running MailScanner with Perl 5.14 ?
>
> I'm using vanilla MailScanner 4.84.3 (from tar distribution) on a
> Debian testing server and I recently upgraded Perl from 5.12 to 5.14.
> Mail processing keeps running normally, but utilizing
> start-stop-daemon for starting/stoping and for the hourly check job is
> troublesome because it cannot stop the already running childer, it
> keeps starting additional ones.
>

> There is already a Debian bug report as well:

Have you loked at what might be up? I mean, have you tried any form of
debug actions (like actually reading the script and trying by hand to
simulate the failure, or just doing "set +x" early on and running the
int script with some stop/restart action)?
The init script is mainly that, a shell script, so that shouldn't have
been affected by a perl update. The periodic restart is a bit
different though, so that might be as you say.

Cheers!

--
-- Glenn