OT: auto responder (OOO) question

Rob Poe rob at poeweb.com
Thu May 12 22:35:43 IST 2011

On 5/12/2011 3:46 PM, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 5/12/2011 1:09 PM Steve Campbell spake the following:
>>
>> On 5/12/2011 3:28 PM, Scott Silva wrote:
>>> on 5/12/2011 11:20 AM Steve Campbell spake the following:

I setup a simple bash script for it -- no checking (honestly, didn't
care too much about checking).  They've used it forever .. use, don't
use, modify, whatever.  Enjoy!

/usr/bin/vacationon

#!/bin/bash
rm -Rf /home/$1/.procmailrc
cp /template/.procmailrc /home/$1/.procmailrc
cp /template/vacation.msg /home/$1/vacation.msg
echo "\"|/usr/bin/procmail -f-\"" > /home/$1/.forward
rm -Rf /home/$1/vacation.cache
chown $1:$1 /home/$1/.procmailrc
chown $1:$1 /home/$1/vacation.msg
chmod 640 /home/$1/.procmailrc
chmod 644 /home/$1/vacation.msg
cd /home/$1
echo "Please edit vacation.msg for this user."
echo "cd /home/$1"
echo "pico vacation.msg"

* !^FROM_DAEMON
# Mail loops are evil
| formail -rD 8192 vacation.cache

:0 ehc         # if the name was not in the cache
| (formail -rA"Precedence: junk" \
-A"X-Loop: $LOGNAME at utxl.com" -i"Subject: $LOGNAME - Out of office -
Will get back to you"; \
cat $HOME/vacation.msg ; \
cat $HOME/.signature 2>/dev/null\
) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

/template/vacation.msg

I am out of the office on vacation.  If you need further assistance
please call xxx-xxx-xxxx.  I will receive your email message when I
return.

Thanks!

/usr/bin/vacationoff

#!/bin/bash