Blocking Attachment on User Basis

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue May 10 13:14:27 IST 2011

On 10 May 2011 12:31, kunal verma <kunal.gurukul at gmail.com> wrote:
> what i got is that overloading is to override rules(have overlapping rule)
> in a particular domain or user....
> I m asking if a list of  users in same domain have a same rule. Is it
> possible to have a this list of users in single file.
> Kunal Verma

Yes, you can have a file just containing the recipients (for example)
and specify that instead of the actual recipient, IIRC. It should
probably be the absolute path, and this will be expanded to one rule
per line in the file... So one item per row... ISTR this being
mentioned in the examples, or possibly in the book.
You can call MailScanner to test it, to see what value it'd use...
"MailScanner --help" will show the syntax... Something like (I run it
as the postfix user, since I run MailScanner as that user...):

]# su - postfix -s /bin/bash
-bash-3.2$ /usr/sbin/MailScanner --value=maxattachmentsize
--from=aa.nn at example.net --to=bb.nn at example.net
Looked up internal option name "maxattachmentsize"
With sender = aa.nn at example.net
  recipient = bb.nn at example.net
Client IP =
Virus =
Result is "-1"
-bash-3.2$

As you can see, I don't check this setting in MS, since MS isn't the
best place to bounce things... Far better to use a milter in your MTA,
if possible, if you intend to bounce things. If just "silent discard",
then it doesn't matter... MS is as good as any place then.

> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Martin Hepworth <maxsec at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> yes, look for "overloading" in the mailscanner wiki
>>
>> --
>> Martin Hepworth
>> Oxford, UK

(snip)