email duplicate suppression

Barry Kwok hkeasytech at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 04:08:08 GMT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Barry Kwok <hkeasytech at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> MTA: postfix 2.3.3
>
> We are using MailScanner's archive rules to auto forward email.
> e.g
> FromOrTo: abc at def.com         supervisor at def.com
>
> But if someone send an email to abc at def.com and cc to supervisor at def.com,
> supervisor at def.com will then get two copies of emails.
>
> Is there any way in Postfix or MailScanner to suppress the duplication.
>

> --barry

I read a recent discussion in postfix group and found some hints.

setting enable_original_recipient = no in postfix main.cf

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#enable_original_recipient
postfix will do duplicate elimination on the rewritten recipient address.
And this will eliminate the duplication such as alias expansion effectively.

But in my case above, for archive mail forwarding rule, It will only do
partly:

For rule
From: abc at def.com            supervisor at def.com
It will still work
But for rule
To: abc at def.com          supervisor at def.com
will not work.

I think the reason for that is because MailScanner loss the original
Envelope-To info after setting enable_original_recipient = no

--barry