MS-4.83.2: problems with lots of quarantined msgs, MS crash (again)

Jeff Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Mon Mar 21 13:49:17 GMT 2011

All,

My occasional issue of MailScanner locking up with the sequence of:

Making attempt 6 at processing message...
Quarantined message ... as it caused MailScanner to crash several times
MailScanner: waiting for children to die: Process did not exit
cleanly, returned 255 with signal 0

bit me again this weekend, causing 391 messages to go into the
quarantine between 18:00 EST and 19:53;
The problem seemed to actually start at 17:44, when
"/etc/MailScanner/ScamNailer" ran, thus sending SIGHUPs
to MailScanner processes.  The problem seemed to clear up shortly
after the cron job at 19:44 for ScamNailer
whacked MailScanner again.

When I copied the 391 messages over to mqueue.in and ran them thru
MailScanner again later, no problems.

My setup: MS 4.83.2 running with Sendmail 8.14.4 on Redhat 5.6 x64.  I
had hoped that the fixes in 4.83.2 fixed
this issue.

Jeff