Mailscanner: "Making attempt # at processing message"

Jeff Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Wed Mar 9 13:46:55 GMT 2011

Hi,

I too have starting having the same problem in the past couple of
weeks, including once last night and once just a few minutes ago.  So
what in perl did you patch?

My setup: Redhat 5.6 x86_x64, MailScanner 4.82.6-1, sendmail.  I am
using the version of perl that comes with Redhat (perl 5.8.8), plus
all of the perl modules supplied by the MailScanner install.

In my case, I find gobs of messages in quarantine when MailScanner
falls apart, that I have to move back into mqueue.in and rerun thru
the system (without problems the second time).  In this morning's
case, the problem seemed to start with a "reload via pid" from cron,
followed by MailScanner processes that would not die, followed by all
messages going to quarantine.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College