OT - one gateway to multiple mail hubs/domains

Jameel Akari jakari at bithose.com
Thu Jun 23 22:10:42 IST 2011

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Steve Campbell wrote:

> Overtime time:
>
> How do most of you who have multiple domains route your mail through a
> singular gateway running MS to multiple mail hubs (server with mailboxes)?
>
> I'd like to consolidate my mail servers running sendmail and MS into one
> gateway. Right now, I have one server per domain, but see no reason why I
> can't put up a single incoming gateway for all domains which could route the
> mail to the mail hubs.

In ssendmail, I use mailertable.  If you have multiple internal mailbox
servers for a given recepient domain, you can also setup some
internal-only MX records to use in those mailertable entries, and get some
simple yet fairly robust load-balancing and failover.

We have two MailScanner front-ends for all of our domains (soon to be
four, so I can finally upgrade to a non-ancient MailScanner) and I've been
doing routing this way for years.  Very handy, quite flexible.

--
Jameel Akari