MailScanner not starting error

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Jun 17 19:08:39 IST 2011

Hi there --

Sorry about the delay in replying to the previous e-mail. Hopefully the contents
of this reply
will prove to be worth it.

I went ahead with a reinstall/upgrade of MailScanner on the server so the
version that is
running is the 4.83.5-1 release. Once the upgrade was complete, I started
MailScanner via
the /etc/init.d script, and the service has been running successfully since
then.

One other note: I have the clamav anti-viral software on the server, and it is
configured to
do a scan of the root filesystem every night. The most recent scan 'detected' a
trojan with the
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/MessageBatch.pm file, and the so-called
offending file was
moved to quarantine. I believe this was a false positive, and after restoring
the file to its
original location, I reconfigured clamav to ignore that file. It is possible,
that part, if not
all, of the problem was caused by the absense of this file.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this. This is one incident that I am going
to thoroughly
document for our company's knowledgebase.