how to allow mobile user to send email with getting blocked

Alex Neuman alex at vidadigital.com.pa
Fri Jun 17 04:52:05 IST 2011

This has been asked in the past, and I repeat my solution for the benefit of those who haven't had the opportunity to search the archives for a solution.

If you're not using sendmail as your MTA you can try doing something like this on your own MTA similarly.

My sendmail.mc has a line like this:

define(`confRECEIVED_HEADER', `_REC_HDR_
        _REC_FULL_AUTH_$?{auth_ssf} MYOWNTOKEN bits=${auth_ssf}$.)
        _REC_BY_
        _REC_TLS_
        _REC_END_')dnl

Where "MYOWNTOKEN" is something not trivially guessable.

Then in /etc/mail/spamassasin/local.cf I add:

header MYOWNTOKEN ALL =~ /MYOWNTOKEN/
score MYOWNTOKEN -100

This way, everyone who *REALLY* authenticates in my server gets scored -100 and therefore it doesn't get flagged as spam.

On Jun 16, 2011, at 6:10 PM, Harondel J. Sibble wrote:

> Just wondering what you all suggest is the best way to deal with the
> following.
>
> Mailscanner machine at the enge of the network, internal imap mailserver,
> users with mobile phones connected via imaps to the internal server with
> various mail clients.
>
> SMTP Auth is in place for all users to send email.
>
> Approx 50% percent of the time, the users on one cell provider (Mobilicity)
> have their mail marked as spam and quarantined, generally users on Rogers,
> Fido, or Telus don't have the same problem or not to same extent, eg
>
> SpamAssassin Score:	4.42
> Spam Report:
> 	Score	Matching Rule	Descriptioncached	not
> 	score=4.423
> 4	required
> -2.60	BAYES_00	Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
> -3.30	KHOP_DNSBL_ADJ
> -1.50	KHOP_THREADED
> 1.96	RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET	Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net
> 1.70	RCVD_IN_HOSTKARMA_BL
> 2.00	RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_BL
> 0.01	RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_L3
> 2.40	RCVD_IN_PSBL
> 0.62	RCVD_IN_SORBS_WEB	SORBS: sender is a abuseable web server
> 3.03	RCVD_IN_XBL	Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
> 0.10	RDNS_NONE	Delivered to trusted network by a host with no rDNS
>
> I've considered client ssl certs but not all the devices/mail client apps
> support this so not really a solution?
>
> What would you suggest is the best way to keep their legitimate emails from
> being blocked by the mailscanner machine.
>

> --
> Harondel J. Sibble
> Sibble Computer Consulting
> Creating Solutions for the small and medium business computer user.
> help at pdscc.com (use pgp keyid 0x3AD5C11D) http://www.pdscc.com
> Blog: http://www.pdscc.com/blog
> (604) 739-3709 (voice)

Alex Neuman van der Hans