MailScanner not starting error

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Thu Jun 16 21:40:37 IST 2011

Hi there --

I ran the commands listed in the previous e-mail, with special attention
paid to the sh -x and tail commands. The output of the maillog file is
shown below:

Jun 16 16:34:19 hadron sendmail[6594]: alias database /etc/aliases rebuilt by
ahk
Jun 16 16:34:19 hadron sendmail[6594]: /etc/aliases: 104 aliases, longest 29
bytes, 1526 bytes total
Jun 16 16:34:19 hadron sendmail[6602]: starting daemon (8.13.8): SMTP
Jun 16 16:34:19 hadron sm-msp-queue[6606]: starting daemon (8.13.8):
queueing at 00:15:00
Jun 16 16:34:19 hadron sendmail[6610]: starting daemon (8.13.8):
queueing at 00:15:00

There is no apparent error being listed here.

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Stephen Swaney
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:52 PM
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: MailScanner not starting error

On Jun 16, 2011, at 3:31 PM, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> Hi there --
>
> I ran the commands listed in your e-mail, and for good measure I confirmed
> that sendmail was not configured to start on system boot. After that, I did
> reboot the server.
>
> After the server came up I checked for an instance of MailScanner running,
> and there was none. When I ran the MailScanner script with the status option,
> MailScanner continued to appear as failed.
>
> As far as running sendmail processes are concerned, here is a listing of them:
>
> root      2828     1  0 15:26 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: accepting
connections

> smmsp     2832     1  0 15:26 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: Queue
runner at 00:15:00
> for /var/spool/clientmqueue
> root      2836     1  0 15:26 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: Queue
runner at 00:15:00
> for /var/spool/mqueue

Stop all the processes again:

	service MailScanner stop
	service sendmail stop
	 MailScanner on
	chkconfig sendmail off
	killall -TERM sendmail

Then try running in one login session window:

	sh -x /etc/init/MailScanner start

and in second login session window:

	tail -f /var/log/maillog

and look for errors or problems. You should see something that will give you a
clue to where things are going left.

Best regards,

Steve
--
Steve Swaney
steve at fsl.com
www.fsl.com
The most accurate and cost effective anti-spam solutions available