OT Trends of 64 bit

Jeff Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Tue Jan 25 18:22:32 GMT 2011

Steve,

I ran MS and Clam on Solaris 10 Sparc (by definition 64-bit) for 6 or
7 years with no issues, other than being the oddball on this list who
continued to use Solaris.

This Fall I moved this setup to VMWare based 64-bit Redhat ES 5.5 (now
5.6) with no issues at all.  I will be moving the setup to VMWare
based Redhat ES 6.0, 64-bit, this Spring.

This past summer we moved our email from an in-house mail system (the
Solaris/MS/Clam/Sendmail frontend, with a Mirapoint email appliance
backend) to Google Apps.  So the MailScanner box handles far less
email than it used to.  It just acts as a mail relay for a few key
servers behind our firewall(s), plus it acts as Google's "where to
route it if I don't know who this person is" mail server.  The Google
route stuff supports email redirects and some legacy email aliases.

As always, MailScanner continues to run just great.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College