Rulesets for file size

Jules Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 16 15:43:47 GMT 2011

Yes, that's quite right.
All a ruleset is, is a "From" or "To" or "FromOrTo" test, a list address
or pattern to check against, and a value to return if that test matches.
That's all there is to it, it's very simple (but powerful).

Jules.

On 16/02/2011 12:30, Stef Morrell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can someone advise on the creation of a ruleset for filesize checking on
> the following two
> MailScanner.conf parameters:
>
> # The maximum size, in bytes, of any attachment in a message.
> # If this is set to zero, effectively no attachments are allowed.
> # If this is set less than zero, then no size checking is done.
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset, so you can have different
> # settings for different users. You might want to set this quite small
> for
> # large mailing lists so they don't get deluged by large attachments.
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
> Maximum Attachment Size = -1
>
> # The minimum size, in bytes, of any attachment in a message.
> # If this is set less than or equal to zero, then no size checking is
> done.
> # It is very useful to set this to 1 as it removes any zero-length
> # attachments which may be created by broken viruses.
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
> Minimum Attachment Size = 1
>
> The ruleset EXAMPLE file doesn't really cover those. I'm guessing it
> will be something like (or exactly like)
>
> From:<sender>         <required size>
>
> eg max size rules (completely arbitrary numbers btw)
>
> FromOrTo: stef at aoc-uk.com        -1
> From: notstef at aoc-uk.com  And To: someone at somewhere.com  	1048576
> FromOrTo: default 	2000000
>
> Is that correct syntax?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stef

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner? Contact me!

Follow me at twitter.com/JulesFM

believed to be clean.