OT: Centos 6 question

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Dec 22 17:10:06 GMT 2011

On 12/22/2011 11:53 AM, Jeremy McSpadden wrote:
> The host setup shouldn't matter. Are you able to telnet into the xen
> vm on port 25? have you disabled iptables or allowed port 25 through ?
> Verify you have connectivity from the outside first, then start
> working back on your config files.
> --
> Jeremy McSpadden
> Flux Labs, Inc
> http://www.fluxlabs.net <http://www.fluxlabs.net/>
> Endless Solutions
> *Office* : 850-588-4626
> *Cell* : 850-890-2543
> *Fax* : 850-254-2955
>
> On Dec 22, 2011, at 10:26 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:
>
>> I've tried installing Centos 6.1 on a 5.7 xen host. I'm having a
>> little trouble getting sendmail to work, and I'm not sure why. Could
>> be the way the network NIC is configured, the fact that I'm running
>> 6.1 under a 5.7 host, or who knows, but the server isn't accepting
>> mail at all, even after changing the line in the .mc file to accept
>> mail from hosts other than localhost and rebuilding the .cf file.
>>
>> The new GUI for the Centos 6 installation seems to be somewhat
>> confusing when it comes to asking what type of installation I would
>> like (types being things like SQL server, web server etc.)
>>
>> I'm going to try the new 6.2 DVDs, but wonder what type of
>> installation others have chosen since I'm sure there's something
>> closer than the Workstation type I chose.
>>
>> Thanks and sorry for OT
>>
>> steve campbell
>>
>> --

I originally tried just sending mail to the server, and got a bounce. I
then tried telnet, and it too failed. The network setup in 6.1, as I
recall, is nothing like the previous versions of Centos. I eventually
installed Webmin and was surprised at how the NIC was configured from
the install when I went to modify it. I could get to the internet, but
sendmail didn't seem to be accepting mail. "ps ax" showed it running though.

Thanks

steve