Emails not getting scanned

Chris Stone axisml at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 22:57:16 GMT 2011

Tony,

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Tony Arcus <tony at ai.net.nz> wrote:
> Sendmail is:
> service sendmail stop
> chkconfig sendmail off
>
> Mailscanner is on
>
> When I do a
> /etc/init.d/MailScanner status
> Checking MailScanner daemons:
>         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
>         incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>
> All looks good and as I would expect,
> but when I do a
> /etc/init.d/sendmail status
> sendmail is stopped
> sm-client (pid  19322) is running...

You turned off the sendmail init scripts with your chkconfig - as you
should have. That sendmail init script is going to be looking at
/var/spool/mqueue not /var/spool/mqueue.in. The sendmail daemon you
are seeing with the /etc/init.d/MailScanner status (or service
MailScanner status) is the one that is using /var/spool/mqueue.in as
the incoming queue and /var/spool/mqueue as the outbound queue. You
should only use the MailScanner init script to see the status of the
daemons rather than the sendmail init script.

The sm-client indicates that your local sendmail client is running,
which you do not need. Do a 'service sendmail stop' and then a
'service MailScanner restart' to clean up and make sure only the
sendmail daemons you need are running. The 'chkconfig sendmail off'
will keep that init script from running on boot.

> Still nothing here that causes me to think things are wrong.
> What I can confirm is that emails are entering the queue
> /var/spool/mqueue.in/, but immediately get processed (by something) directly
> to the user. MailScanner never gets to process them.

Take a look at the 'Incoming Queue Dir' setting in your
/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf file. You should have:

Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue.in

but, I am guessing, you probably have:

Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue

Chris