Tell MailScanner to stop incoming mail

Martin Hepworth maxsec at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 15:49:13 IST 2011

Should only need

Service mailscanner stopin

To stop the incoming mta. The sendmail service shouldn't be used separately
anymre afaik

Martin

On Saturday, 27 August 2011, Richard Lynch <rich at mail.wvnet.edu> wrote:
> Michael Masse wrote:
>>
>> I'm having performance issues on one of my incoming email servers, and
while I'm trying to figure out the root of that problem I need to be able to
tell MailScanner to stop accepting incoming mail so that it can get caught
up on the email it has already accepted and queued up.   I have multiple
servers running w/ this mx record, so senders should just find a different
server to send to automatically if this one stops accepting.    It appears
to me that MailScanner starts a secondary sendmail process specifically just
for receiving email vs sending, so hopefully there's some sort of startup
command that would allow me to not accept new email.    I've tried just
blocking port 25 from the outside on this server specifically via iptables,
and it does prevent outside systems from sending mail, it also keeps
MailScanner from properly processing queued up mail for some reason.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>  -Mike
>>

> What I do on RHEL/CentOS is...
>
> service sendmail stop
> service MailScanner startout
>
> ...then when I'm ready to start accepting inbound mail again...
>
> service MailScanner startin
>

> Rich
>
> --
>
> Obstacles are those frightening things we see when we take
> our eyes off our goal.
>
> Henry Ford

Martin Hepworth
Oxford, UK