I messed up Bayes

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Fri Apr 22 12:44:54 IST 2011

Greetz, all.

I hope it's appropriate to ask this here.  It may
have been answered in the past, but I wouldn't
even know what search terms to use:

Over the past few days, I've had some spam leaking
through what has been an old, but reliable system
(consisting of the latest Sendmail, MailScanner,
clamav, MailWatch, and an older Spamassassin, all
running on a CentOS box).  Up to this point, most
spam was easily tagged and dealt with.  So, I
figured I'd upgrade to the latest SA, thereby
using the most recent rules.  Good in theory, bad
in practice, because it messed up Bayes.
Regardless of whether I tried to do it manually,
or via MailWatch, when I did an sa-learn, I got
the following:

SA Learn: config: configuration
file "/etc/mail/spamassassin/20_advance_fee.cf"
requires version 3.003001 of SpamAssassin, but
this is code version 3.002005. Maybe you need to
use the -C switch, or remove the old config
files? Skipping this file
at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/Conf/Parser.pm
line 372.

That's just a snippet; every rule does the same.
So, I figured I'd role back to the previous
version of SA.  Trying sa-learn again, I now get
the following:

SA Learn: config: configuration
file "/etc/mail/spamassassin/20_advance_fee.cf"
requires version 3.002005 of SpamAssassin, but
this is code version 3.002004. Maybe you need to
use the -C switch, or remove the old config
files? Skipping this file
at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/Conf/Parser.pm
line 372.

In other words, Bayes (or something) seems to be
looking at a previous configuration, or
something.

I think (the operative word, here) that I made a
good backup copy of the Bayes DB.  That having
been said, how do I correct this problem?

As ever, many thanks.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.