Issue with sender's 'From' address where display name is not quoted

donald.dawson at bakerbotts.com donald.dawson at bakerbotts.com
Fri Apr 15 21:40:41 IST 2011

We have received email from a reputable list serve that has the
following format of 'From' address in the unmodified email header:

	H??From: Patrick A. Guida, Duffy & Sweeney, LTD
<ali-aba at ali-aba.org>

The internally delivered email has the following 'From' header:

	From: Patrick.A.Guida at bakerbotts.com,
Duffy.&.Sweeney at bakerbotts.com, LTD <ali-aba at ali-aba.org>

It appears they are not RFC-Compliant on the 'From' address since they
did not have quotes around their display name.

I have tested re-sending the email with the quotes around the 'display
name' and the delivered email shows the correct display name:

	Patrick A. Guida, Duffy & Sweeney, LTD [ali-aba at ali-aba.org]

Versus the same email without the quotes around the display name:

	Patrick.A.Guida at bakerbotts.com

Do I need to go back to the list serve to get them to correct the format
of their 'From' email header, or is there an option in MailScanner that
should assume text before the <ali-aba at ali-aba.org> is a display name?

Thanks,
Donald

Donald Dawson
Security Administrator
Baker Botts L.L.P.
One Shell Plaza
910 Louisiana
Houston, TX 77002
W: 713-229-2183

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this email and any attachments is intended only for the recipient[s] listed above and may be privileged and confidential. Any dissemination, copying, or use of or reliance upon such information by or to anyone other than the recipient[s] listed above is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the email address above and destroy any and all copies of this message.