OT: Statistics of an MTA (backend)

Naz Snidanko nsnidanko at harperpowerproducts.com
Thu Apr 14 18:38:30 IST 2011

Hi Eduardo,

I a not sure what platform are you looking for. But to start I would advice you to check out the following Exchange calculator:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2007/01/15/3397742.aspx

I know it might not apply to other platforms, but it will give you an idea of what questions you should be asking. For example something like average mailbox size, user's behavior, retention periods, concurrent connections, predicted growth rate, required availability should answer as of what vCPU, RAM and storage capacities you will require.

As for busiest time of the day I find our server takes heaviest beating on Monday morning to mid-day. But again it goes back on the nature of the business your organization provides. For example even though we are 24/7 email dies down during night due to the needs and number of staff.

Hope it helps,

Naz Snidanko

Desktop & Network Support

Harper Power Products Inc.